So, here I am at 46 years old, living a life I never really thought I would. When I was called to ministry by God at age 18, I just assumed I’d always be serving in a church. Here I am traveling across the world sharing our story and encouraging the hearts of others. I don’t think many of you realize how funny this is. I never even got on a plane until I was 19 and didn’t get on another for at least 4 years. In the first 33 years of my life I only left the country once and, until I did a mission trip in Germany this summer, I had never gone to Europe.
With our travels, though, I have learned a lot of cool stuff about places I’d never dreamed I’d get to go. We get asked a lot about traveling, which isn’t nearly as glamorous as it may sound. There’s no telling what you may run into, whose path you will cross or what adventure you’ll find. So, I thought I’d share a little “wisdom” here about airplanes (don’t prepare yourself for anything serious). So without delay, here are my top 10 things you never want to hear from the person next to you on the plane:
10. This is my baby’s first plane trip. I’m sure she will be good. I NEVER have a problem with her.
9. Dude, are you going to use that vomit bag? I’m not sure one is enough.
8. If I don’t make it, will you be sure to give this note to my wife and kids?
7. I shouldn’t have had that second plate of Mexican at the airport buffet.
6. Don’t mind the coughing, the antibiotics should have kicked in by now.
5. Only 1,102 miles to go…only 1,101 miles to go…only 1,100 miles to go.
4. I can’t believe they didn’t see “_______” (fill-in-the-blank) in my suitcase when I went through security.
3. Hey, which one of these guys do you think is the air marshall?
2. Silly TSA agent, of course I didn’t pack my own bag.
1. This is my first flight. Can I squeeze your leg as we take off?